Requests • Devotion #1: New Every Morning
Dr. Randy T. Johnson | Growth Pastor
“Give us this day our daily bread.” Matthew 6:11
I am a sticky note fanatic. I create at least one sticky note every day of what needs to be accomplished. I can get so overwhelmed by the big picture that I need to create “baby steps.” I might check off an item on tomorrow’s list, but I try not to fret about those items. If I just look at the project as a whole, I can become anxious, defeated, and depressed. The whole course is good to consider, but the next step needs immediate focus.
Something that jumps out at me is that the Lord’s Prayer speaks of “this day” and “daily.” The focus is on today. Too often we get so caught up in the future that we miss the blessings of the present day. Matthew 6:34 adds, “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Max Lucado got me thinking when he wrote, “No one can pray and worry at the same time.” We need to pray in confidence. George Mueller is known as a man of extreme faith. He added, “The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety.” Anxiety is real, but too often it tries to focus on things that are out of our sight.
Lamentations 3:22-24 presents this concept in another way, “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’” God’s mercies are “new every morning.” His mercies are for today, and He will not run out of love. Corrie Ten Boom experienced God’s mercies at a time most would have missed them. She said, “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.” It reminds me of the whole thought that 90% of the things we worry about never happen and the other 10% we cannot change. Therefore, worrying does not make sense. Luke 12:25 captures the idea, “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”
God offers peace for today. In John 14:27, Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” God will not leave us. He will not forsake us. He is with us. Enjoy Him today.
“As you walk through the valley of the unknown, you will find the footprints of Jesus both in front of you and beside you.” Charles Stanley